XDP hardware hints discussion mail archive
* [xdp-hints] Interest in TX-side XDP metadata hints from Intel (+ Red Hat)
@ 2023-09-08 14:18 Jesper Dangaard Brouer
From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer @ 2023-09-08 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Fomichev
  Cc: hawk, Arun Thomas, Song, Yoong Siang, Abdul Rahim, Faizal,
	Fabien Dupont, Chavez, Robert, Zaremba Larysa,
	Alexei Starovoitov, Daniel Borkmann, Costin Gament,
	Jakub Kicinski, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira, Karlsson, Magnus,
	Maciej Fijalkowski, Felix Maurer, Desouza, Ederson,
	Kishen Maloor, xdp-hints

Hi Stanislav,

Sharing that Intel (+Red Hat) have an interest in getting XDP metadata
hints working on smaller devices used for "Edge Controls for Industrial"
(ECI)[1].

What are your plans for your patchset[2] ?

My suggestion (to Intel) is that we implement the TX-timestamp (plus
LaunchTime) on top of Stanslav's patches[2].  For drivers igc+igb+stmmac
which I think will cover the tests[3] need by Arun/Costin (?). And then
post it upstream for review.

The Intel test tool[3] isn't open, but it is an AF_XDP based Real-Time
Compute Performance (RTCP) application that show-case a real-time
control loop application.  The current code uses out-of-tree[4] "TXTIME"
LaunchTime feature, that want not upstreamed.

Lets us instead implement a proper TX LaunchTime feature on top of [2].

--Jesper
cc. XDP-hints ML as anyone is free to code this up, code help here[5]

[1] https://eci.intel.com/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230809165418.2831456-1-sdf@google.com/
[3] https://github.com/OTCShare2/rtcp-xdp
[4] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210621230635.3a83851c@carbon/
[5]
https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-project/blob/master/areas/tsn/code01_follow_qdisc_TSN_offload.org#tx-time-to-hardware-driver-igc

* [xdp-hints] Re: Interest in TX-side XDP metadata hints from Intel (+ Red Hat)
@ 2023-09-08 16:37 ` Stanislav Fomichev
From: Stanislav Fomichev @ 2023-09-08 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Dangaard Brouer
  Cc: Arun Thomas, Song, Yoong Siang, Abdul Rahim, Faizal,

On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 7:18 AM Jesper Dangaard Brouer <hawk@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi Stanislav,
>
> Sharing that Intel (+Red Hat) have an interest in getting XDP metadata
> hints working on smaller devices used for "Edge Controls for Industrial"
> (ECI)[1].
>
> What are your plans for your patchset[2] ?

Sorry, I was OOO for two weeks and then got distracted by some internal work :-(
I'll probably post another respin next week. I think I've addressed
most of the Maciej's feedback, but the only thing that we need to move
this forward is to support another device besides mlx5. Maciej was
suggesting ice, but I don't have the hw :-( I have some idfp-capable
devices, so I'll probably try to play with it instead (but the idpf
driver is still not pulled).

So if you want to help speed it up, we should probably focus first on
getting some of the intel nics support tx metadata.
To proceed, maybe I should post my next iteration and we can
collaborate on the ice driver changes?
Who should I CC explicitly?

@ 2023-09-14  1:22   ` Song, Yoong Siang
From: Song, Yoong Siang @ 2023-09-14  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Fomichev, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
  Cc: t, Thomas, Abdul Rahim, Faizal, Dupont, Fabien, Chavez, Robert,
	Zaremba, Larysa, Alexei Starovoitov, Daniel Borkmann, Gament,
	Costin, Jakub Kicinski, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira, Karlsson,
	Magnus, Fijalkowski, Maciej, Felix Maurer, Desouza, Ederson,
	Maloor, Kishen, xdp-hints

On Saturday, September 9, 2023 12:38 AM Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@google.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 7:18 AM Jesper Dangaard Brouer <hawk@kernel.org>
>wrote:
>>
>> Hi Stanislav,
>>
>> Sharing that Intel (+Red Hat) have an interest in getting XDP metadata
>> hints working on smaller devices used for "Edge Controls for Industrial"
>> (ECI)[1].
>>
>> What are your plans for your patchset[2] ?
>
>Sorry, I was OOO for two weeks and then got distracted by some internal work :-
>( I'll probably post another respin next week. I think I've addressed most of the
>Maciej's feedback, but the only thing that we need to move this forward is to
>support another device besides mlx5. Maciej was suggesting ice, but I don't have
>the hw :-( I have some idfp-capable devices, so I'll probably try to play with it
>instead (but the idpf driver is still not pulled).
>
>So if you want to help speed it up, we should probably focus first on getting some
>of the intel nics support tx metadata.
>To proceed, maybe I should post my next iteration and we can collaborate on the
>ice driver changes?
>Who should I CC explicitly?

Hi Stanislav,

I can help to speed it up. I don't have ice HW on my hand as well, so maybe we can start
with igc drivers, followed by stmmac drivers.

Please post your next iteration, then we can collaborate based on that.

Thanks & Regards
Siang

@ 2023-09-14 21:05     ` Stanislav Fomichev
From: Stanislav Fomichev @ 2023-09-14 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Song, Yoong Siang
  Cc: Jesper Dangaard Brouer, t, Thomas, Abdul Rahim, Faizal, Dupont,
	Fabien, Chavez, Robert, Zaremba, Larysa, Alexei Starovoitov,
	Daniel Borkmann, Gament, Costin, Jakub Kicinski,
	Daniel Bristot de Oliveira, Karlsson, Magnus, Fijalkowski,
	Maciej, Felix Maurer, Desouza, Ederson, Maloor, Kishen,
	xdp-hints

On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 6:22 PM Song, Yoong Siang
<yoong.siang.song@intel.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, September 9, 2023 12:38 AM Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@google.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 7:18 AM Jesper Dangaard Brouer <hawk@kernel.org>
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Stanislav,
> >>
> >> Sharing that Intel (+Red Hat) have an interest in getting XDP metadata
> >> hints working on smaller devices used for "Edge Controls for Industrial"
> >> (ECI)[1].
> >>
> >> What are your plans for your patchset[2] ?
> >
> >Sorry, I was OOO for two weeks and then got distracted by some internal work :-
> >( I'll probably post another respin next week. I think I've addressed most of the
> >Maciej's feedback, but the only thing that we need to move this forward is to
> >support another device besides mlx5. Maciej was suggesting ice, but I don't have
> >the hw :-( I have some idfp-capable devices, so I'll probably try to play with it
> >instead (but the idpf driver is still not pulled).
> >
> >So if you want to help speed it up, we should probably focus first on getting some
> >of the intel nics support tx metadata.
> >To proceed, maybe I should post my next iteration and we can collaborate on the
> >ice driver changes?
> >Who should I CC explicitly?
> >
> Hi Stanislav,
>
> I can help to speed it up. I don't have ice HW on my hand as well, so maybe we can start
> with igc drivers, followed by stmmac drivers.
>
> Please post your next iteration, then we can collaborate based on that.

Awesome, thanks! The v2 is out, you're on the CC. Feel free to reach
out directly if you have any questions or suggestions.

I also have to abaon my idea of playing with idpf since the driver
that's posted on the list doesn't have af_xdp support :-(

@ 2023-09-21  2:10       ` Song, Yoong Siang
From: Song, Yoong Siang @ 2023-09-21  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Fomichev
  Cc: Jesper Dangaard Brouer, t, Thomas, Abdul Rahim, Faizal, Dupont,

On Friday, September 15, 2023 5:06 AM, Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@google.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 6:22 PM Song, Yoong Siang
><yoong.siang.song@intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday, September 9, 2023 12:38 AM Stanislav Fomichev
><sdf@google.com> wrote:
>> >On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 7:18 AM Jesper Dangaard Brouer
>> ><hawk@kernel.org>

>Industrial"

>> >Sorry, I was OOO for two weeks and then got distracted by some
>> >internal work :- ( I'll probably post another respin next week. I
>> >think I've addressed most of the Maciej's feedback, but the only
>> >thing that we need to move this forward is to support another device
>> >besides mlx5. Maciej was suggesting ice, but I don't have the hw :-(
>> >I have some idfp-capable devices, so I'll probably try to play with it instead (but
>the idpf driver is still not pulled).
>> >
>> >So if you want to help speed it up, we should probably focus first on
>> >getting some of the intel nics support tx metadata.
>> >To proceed, maybe I should post my next iteration and we can
>> >collaborate on the ice driver changes?
>> >Who should I CC explicitly?
>> >
>> Hi Stanislav,
>>
>> I can help to speed it up. I don't have ice HW on my hand as well, so
>> maybe we can start with igc drivers, followed by stmmac drivers.
>>
>> Please post your next iteration, then we can collaborate based on that.
>
>Awesome, thanks! The v2 is out, you're on the CC. Feel free to reach out directly
>if you have any questions or suggestions.

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for the v2. I do have one question. What is the code base which you are using?
When I try to apply your v2 patch set on top of latest net-next, there are few merge conflicts,
and it seem like Rx Metadata is not included in your base.

Thanks & Regards
Siang

@ 2023-09-21  4:35         ` Stanislav Fomichev
From: Stanislav Fomichev @ 2023-09-21  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Song, Yoong Siang
  Cc: Jesper Dangaard Brouer, t, Thomas, Abdul Rahim, Faizal, Dupont,
	Fabien, Chavez, Robert, Zaremba, Larysa, Alexei Starovoitov,
	Daniel Borkmann, Gament, Costin, Jakub Kicinski,
	Daniel Bristot de Oliveira, Karlsson, Magnus, Fijalkowski,
	Maciej, Felix Maurer, Desouza, Ederson, Maloor, Kishen,
	xdp-hints

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 7:10 PM Song, Yoong Siang
<yoong.siang.song@intel.com> wrote:

> On Friday, September 15, 2023 5:06 AM, Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@google.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 6:22 PM Song, Yoong Siang
> ><yoong.siang.song@intel.com> wrote:

> >Industrial"

> >the idpf driver is still not pulled).

> >> Hi Stanislav,
> >>
> >> I can help to speed it up. I don't have ice HW on my hand as well, so
> >> maybe we can start with igc drivers, followed by stmmac drivers.
> >>
> >> Please post your next iteration, then we can collaborate based on that.
> >
> >Awesome, thanks! The v2 is out, you're on the CC. Feel free to reach out directly
> >if you have any questions or suggestions.
>
> Hi Stanislav,
>
> Thanks for the v2. I do have one question. What is the code base which you are using?
> When I try to apply your v2 patch set on top of latest net-next, there are few merge conflicts,
> and it seem like Rx Metadata is not included in your base.

Anything prior to my recent commit "bpf: make it easier to add new
metadata kfunc" should work. That's most likely the reason it
conflicts.
So try to cherry pick it on top of the following and let me know if
you still have an issue; I can rebase and repost:
5c04433daf9e - bpf: Charge modmem for struct_ops trampoline (6 days
ago) <Song Liu>

Regarding rx metadata: it's separate from af_xdp and it's more
generically implemented in the xdp layer, see:
Documentation/networking/xdp-rx-metadata.rst

Also see tools/testing/selftests/bpf/prog_tests/xdp_metadata.c for an
example on how to use both rx and tx sides.

@ 2023-09-21  8:17           ` Song, Yoong Siang
From: Song, Yoong Siang @ 2023-09-21  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Fomichev
  Cc: Jesper Dangaard Brouer, t, Thomas, Abdul Rahim, Faizal, Dupont,

On Thursday, September 21, 2023 12:36 PM, Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@google.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 7:10 PM Song, Yoong Siang
><yoong.siang.song@intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, September 15, 2023 5:06 AM, Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@google.com>
>wrote:

>> >Industrial"

>> >the idpf driver is still not pulled).

>> >Awesome, thanks! The v2 is out, you're on the CC. Feel free to reach
>> >out directly if you have any questions or suggestions.
>>
>> Hi Stanislav,
>>
>> Thanks for the v2. I do have one question. What is the code base which you are
>using?
>> When I try to apply your v2 patch set on top of latest net-next, there
>> are few merge conflicts, and it seem like Rx Metadata is not included in your
>base.
>
>Anything prior to my recent commit "bpf: make it easier to add new metadata
>kfunc" should work. That's most likely the reason it conflicts.
>So try to cherry pick it on top of the following and let me know if you still have an
>issue; I can rebase and repost:
>5c04433daf9e - bpf: Charge modmem for struct_ops trampoline (6 days
>ago) <Song Liu>

This base work for me. Thanks.
Btw, how we should collaborate?
After done coding and testing on my side, I send you my patches,
then you will include them into your patchset v3?

@ 2023-09-21 16:24             ` Stanislav Fomichev
From: Stanislav Fomichev @ 2023-09-21 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Song, Yoong Siang
  Cc: Jesper Dangaard Brouer, t, Thomas, Abdul Rahim, Faizal, Dupont,
	Fabien, Chavez, Robert, Zaremba, Larysa, Alexei Starovoitov,
	Daniel Borkmann, Gament, Costin, Jakub Kicinski,
	Daniel Bristot de Oliveira, Karlsson, Magnus, Fijalkowski,
	Maciej, Felix Maurer, Desouza, Ederson, Maloor, Kishen,
	xdp-hints

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 1:17 AM Song, Yoong Siang
<yoong.siang.song@intel.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 21, 2023 12:36 PM, Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@google.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 7:10 PM Song, Yoong Siang
> ><yoong.siang.song@intel.com> wrote:

> >> Hi Stanislav,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the v2. I do have one question. What is the code base which you are
> >using?
> >> When I try to apply your v2 patch set on top of latest net-next, there
> >> are few merge conflicts, and it seem like Rx Metadata is not included in your
> >base.
> >
> >Anything prior to my recent commit "bpf: make it easier to add new metadata
> >kfunc" should work. That's most likely the reason it conflicts.
> >So try to cherry pick it on top of the following and let me know if you still have an
> >issue; I can rebase and repost:
> >5c04433daf9e - bpf: Charge modmem for struct_ops trampoline (6 days
> >ago) <Song Liu>
>
> This base work for me. Thanks.
> Btw, how we should collaborate?
> After done coding and testing on my side, I send you my patches,
> then you will include them into your patchset v3?

Yeah, that works for me. Unless you have better ideas :-)

@ 2023-09-22  0:16               ` Song, Yoong Siang
From: Song, Yoong Siang @ 2023-09-22  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanislav Fomichev
  Cc: Jesper Dangaard Brouer, t, Thomas, Abdul Rahim, Faizal, Dupont,

On Friday, September 22, 2023 12:24 AM, Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@google.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 1:17 AM Song, Yoong Siang
><yoong.siang.song@intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, September 21, 2023 12:36 PM, Stanislav Fomichev
><sdf@google.com> wrote:

>> >using?
>> >base.
>> >
>> >Anything prior to my recent commit "bpf: make it easier to add new
>> >metadata kfunc" should work. That's most likely the reason it conflicts.
>> >So try to cherry pick it on top of the following and let me know if
>> >you still have an issue; I can rebase and repost:
>> >5c04433daf9e - bpf: Charge modmem for struct_ops trampoline (6 days
>> >ago) <Song Liu>
>>
>> This base work for me. Thanks.
>> Btw, how we should collaborate?
>> After done coding and testing on my side, I send you my patches, then
>> you will include them into your patchset v3?
>
>Yeah, that works for me. Unless you have better ideas :-)

Great. Hopefully I am able to complete the first draft and send you
something by next week.