XDP hardware hints discussion mail archive
From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@redhat.com>
To: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>,
Cc: brouer@redhat.com, Martin KaFai Lau <martin.lau@linux.dev>,
	"bpf@vger.kernel.org" <bpf@vger.kernel.org>,
	"mtahhan@redhat.com" <mtahhan@redhat.com>,
	"xdp-hints@xdp-project.net" <xdp-hints@xdp-project.net>,
	"netdev@vger.kernel.org" <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	"jolsa@kernel.org" <jolsa@kernel.org>,
	"haoluo@google.com" <haoluo@google.com>
Subject: [xdp-hints] Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/5] xdp: hints via kfuncs
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 16:25:15 +0100	[thread overview]

On 03/11/2022 13.48, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@redhat.com> writes:

>> IMHO the second BPF program to populate the SKB is needed to add
>> flexibility and extensibility.
>>
>> My end-goal here is to speedup packet parsing.
>> This BPF-prog should (in time) be able to update skb->transport_header
>> and skb->network_header.  As I mentioned before, HW RX-hash already tell
>> us the L3 and L4 protocols and in-most-cases header-len.  Even without
>> HW-hints, the XDP-prog likely have parsed the packet once. This parse
>> information is lost today, and redone by netstack. What about storing
>> this header parse info in meta data and re-use in this new XDP2SKB hook?
>>
>> The reason for suggesting this BPF-prog to be a callback, associated
>> with the net_device, were that HW is going to differ on what HW hints
>> that HW support.  Thus, we can avoid a generic C-function that need to
>> check for all the possible hints, and instead have a BPF-prog that only
>> contains the code that is relevant for this net_device.
>
> But that's exactly what the xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() is! It's a
> dynamic "BPF program" (generated as unrolled kfunc calls) just running
> in the helper and stashing the results in an intermediate struct in the
> metadata area. And once it's done that, we don't need *another* dynamic
> BPF program to read it back out and populate the SKB, because the
> intermediate format it's been stashed into is under the control of the
> kernel (we just need a flag to indicate that it's there).

>> Sorry, I think this "hiding" layout trick is going in a wrong direction.
>>
>> Imagine the use-case of cpumap redirect.  The physical device XDP-prog
>> calls xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() to extract info from RX-desc, then it
>> calls redirect into cpumap.  On remote CPU, the xdp_frame is picked up,
>> and then I want to run another XDP-prog that want to look at these
>> HW-hints, and then likely call XDP_PASS which creates the SKB, also
>> using these HW-hints.  I take it, it would not be possible when using
>> the xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() helper?
>
> You're right that it should be possible to read the values back out
> again later. That is totally possible with this scheme, though; the
> 'xdp_to_skb_metadata' is going to be in the vmlinux BTF, so an XDP
> program can just read that. We can explicitly support it by using the
> BTF ID as the "magic value" as you suggest, which would be fine by me.

I'm on-board if we as you suggest, add the BTF_ID as the "magic value"
(as last member due to AF_XDP processing).  When
xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() writes 'xdp_to_skb_metadata' in metadata
area.  We should simply see this BTF-ID as a 'cookie' or magic number.

> I still think we should be using the __randomize_layout trick, though,
> precisely so that BPF consumers are forced to use BTF relocations to
> read it; otherwise we risk the struct layout ossifying into UAPI because
> people are just going to assume it's static...

I'm also on-board with some level of randomization to the struct to
force consumers to use BTF for relocations. e.g BTF-ID cookie/magic
should be at a fixed location.

>>> Ah, nice trick with __randomize_layout - I agree we need to do something
>>> to prevent userspace from inadvertently starting to rely on this, and
>>> this seems like a great solution!
>>
>> Sorry, I disagree where this is going.  Why do all of a sudden want to
>> prevent userspace (e.g. AF_XDP) from using this data?!?
>
> See above: I don't think we should prevent userspace from using it (and
> we're not), but we should prevent the struct layout from ossifying.

Okay, then we are in agreement, avoid ossifying struct layout.

>> The hole exercise started with wanting to provide AF_XDP with these
>> HW-hints. The hints a standard AF_XDP user wants is likely very
>> similar to what the SKB user wants. Why do the AF_XDP user need to
>> open code this?
>>
>> The BTF-ID scheme precisely allows us to expose this layout to
>> userspace, and at the same time have freedom to change this in kernel
>> space, as userspace must decode the BTF-layout before reading this.
>> I was hoping xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() could simply use the BTF-ID
>> scheme, with the BTF-ID of struct xdp_hints_rx_common, is to too much to
>> ask for?  You can just consider the BTF-ID as the magic number, as it
>> will be more-or-less random per kernel build (and module load order).
>
> As mentioned above, I would be totally fine with just having the
> xdp_to_skb_metadata be part of BTF, enabling both XDP programs and
> AF_XDP consumers to re-use it.

My use-case is that AF_XDP will need to key on this runtime BTF-ID magic
value anyway to read out 'xdp_to_skb_metadata' values.  I have an
XDP-prog running, that will RX-timestamp only the time-sync protocol
packets.  Code wise, I will simply add my RX-timestamp on top of struct
'xdp_to_skb_metadata' and then update the BTF-ID magic value.  I don't
need to add a real BTF-ID but just some magic value that my AF_XDP
userspace prog knows about.  In my current code[1], I'm playing nice and
adds the BPF-prog's own local BTF-ID via bpf_core_type_id_local().

[1]
https://github.com/xdp-project/bpf-examples/blob/master/AF_XDP-interaction/af_xdp_kern.c#L80

>>> Look forward to seeing what the whole thing looks like in a more
>>> complete form :)
>>
>> I'm sort of on-board with the kfuncs and unroll-tricks, if I can see
>> some driver code that handles the issues of getting HW setup state
>> exposed needed to decode the RX-desc format.
>>
>> I sense that I myself, haven't been good enough to explain/convey the
>> BTF-ID scheme.  Next week, I will code some examples that demo how
>> BTF-IDs can be used from BPF-progs, even as a communication channel
>> between different BPF-progs (e.g. drv XDP-prog -> cpumap XDP-prog ->
>> TC-BPF).
>
> For my part at least, it's not a lack of understanding that makes me
> prefer the kfunc approach. Rather, it's the complexity of having to
> resolve the multiple BTF IDs, and the risk of ossifying the struct
> layouts because people are going to do that wrong. Using kfuncs gives us
> much more control of the API, especially if we combine it with struct
> randomisation for the bits we do expose.
>
> Translating what we've discussed above into the terms used in your patch
> series, this would correspond to *only* having the xdp_metadata_common
> struct exposed via BTF, and not bothering with all the other
> driver-specific layouts. So an XDP/AF_XDP user that only wants to use
> the metadata that's also used by the stack can just call
> xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb(), and then read the resulting metadata area
> (using BTF). And if someone wants to access metadata that's *not* used
> by the stack, they'd have to call additional kfuncs to extract that.

I agree, that this patchset does/will simplify my patchset.  My driver
specific structs for BTF-IDs will no-longer be needed.  As it is now
up-to XDP-prog to explicitly extend with fields. This should reduce your
concern with resolving multiple BTF IDs.

Maybe after this patchset, I would suggest that we could create some
"kernel-central" struct's that have e.g. RX-timestamp and mark (mlx5
have HW support for mark) and protocol types (via RX-hash). As these
could be used by XDP-prog's that explicitly extract these, and
communicate the layout via setting the BTF-ID (via calling
bpf_core_type_id_kernel()).  Making it easier to consume from chained
BPF-progs, AF_XDP and even via kernel C-code that updates SKB fields as
the number of these magic BTF-ID's will be small enough.

> And similarly, if someone wants only a subset of the metadata used by an
> SKB, they can just *not* call xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb(), and instead
> just call the individual kfuncs to extract just the fields they want.
>
> I think this strikes a nice balance between the flexibility by the
> kernel to change things, the flexibility of XDP consumers to request
> only the data they want, and the ability for the same metadata to be
> consumed at different points. WDYT?

With above comments, I think we are closer to an agreement again.

--Jesper